Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Manifest Destiny

Russians have a nifty little food called Pelmeni. If you're one of those people who like to debate how to correctly spell foreign words in an english alphabet then, a) I feel sorry for you, and b) I'm right so get over it.

Pelmeni is basically ravioli with a breaded outside, instead of a pasta outside. Like Ravioli, Russians typically boil it. Once it's boiled they'll normally put something akin to sour cream on it. I know it sounds weird. Even though I was a waiter I never accomplished the feat of making food sound good.

Tangent--My description for the seafood enchilada at the restaurant where I worked was "imitation crab and cheese, rolled in a floppy tortilla, drenched in enchilada sauce." I only ever had one group of people tell me it sounded good and even that was shocking.--end of tangent

So...Pelmeni. It isn't as bad as it sounds even if it DOES feels like eating a wet sock. But being American, my colleagues and I did what Americans do best--we took something another culture takes pride in, added oil, fried it, melted cheese on it and dipped it in ketchup.

Needless to say it was much better than the wet sock version. Even Russians, who initially criticized us for committing a culinary rape of their cuisine, generally liked our version better.

What's the point of this blog?

At time when all Americans are admitting that our leaders lack the basic ability to balance a checkbook or the restraint to go out and buy the cute pair of trillion dollar shoes in the window, I feel it's important to reflect on what makes us great.

To the point...

People from other cultures often come to America and tell us that the Italian/Mexican/Indian food we serve in the States is not authentic to their country.

Well...there's a reason for that.

Example, I may not be able to go do downtown Tijuana and buy a Chalupa or a Gordito, but I'll put them up against a street taco any day.

And Italian Soda? Please. We have Dr Pepper. Why am I going to waste time stirring club soda and syrup together when God has already done that for me in an ice cold, maroon aluminum can?

Indian food? Well...we did our best.

English food? Unfortunately, frying things in lard can only make them so much better.

So, while our country sits on the brink of economic disaster, take pride in the fact that we can still take what other cultures love and fry it.

No comments:

Post a Comment